For some the next few months will be about having a ‘hot girl summer’. The number of people seeking casual fun and casual dating rises in the summer when people are feeling flirty, fun and fabulous. However, it’s still important to remember how to stay safe while out having casual fun.
Do it for the right reasons
- All hook ups should be for the right reasons, of course it's important to take into account what your partner wants, but it's equally important to make sure that you’re attracted to the person and wanting a pleasurable, new sexual experience.
Let people know your plans
- While it can be easy to get lost in the heat of the moment, it’s important to take a minute to let your friends know where you’re going, and with who. Bonkers, a dating app for all groups, is integrated with WalkSafe technology, making it easy and stress free on the app. The technology has a feature allowing you to send an SOS to your designated friend at a push of a button.
- While this might seem like the most obvious precaution to take, Elite Daily discovered 25% of men admitted to having had unprotected sex with their one-night stand, while 14% of women said the same. While there are a number of contraceptives aimed at preventing pregnancy, condoms are the most reliable way of preventing both pregnancy and STI transmission.
Get tested regularly
- Condoms work in nearly all situations to prevent the spread of STI. However, people should still get tested at least once a year for syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhoea. Those who have multiple or anonymous partners should be tested more frequently, ideally between every 3-6 months. Order a home STI test here.
Check in with your emotions
- Finally, before all else make sure that your emotional health is being looked after just as much as your physical health. Non-committed sex can be great fun and a great way to learn what you like, don’t like and even how you like to experiment. Some people find that casual sex to be a great form of stress release. However, understand that no matter what other people may think or want, casual sex should be consensual and comfortable, remember to check in with yourself beforehand and make sure that it's the right decision for you.
Following the above five steps will ensure that you have safe casual fun this summer.